Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

I previously had a FEIN, but have not been active in my business

Customer Question

I previously had a FEIN, but have not been active in my business or used the FEIN for approx. 8 years. I am now beginning business again. Do I need to reactivate the former FEIN somehow?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more so we can help you best.
Customer: I previously had a FEIN and was operating as a sole proprietor. I quit my business and went to work for someone else & was on their payroll for approx. 8 years. I am going back into business for myself again as a sole proprietor. Can I just begin using my former FEIN or do I need to do something to reactivate it?
JA: Anything else I can tell the Accountant before I connect you two?
Customer: That should do it!
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
FEIN stands for “federal employer identification number.”FEIN does not expire (unlike ITIN that expires after five years of inactivity).How to confirm your FEIN ?The IRS Form CP575 is the IRS generated letter you received from the IRS granting your Employer Identification Number.Here is an example of that letter
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
For copy you need contact IRS via the phone. Call _1_800_829_4933_ from 7:00 am to 10:00 pm.You need to be an authorized person to request a letter for the corporation.Actually - the IRS will not re-issue or provide a copy of the CP575 Letter.If you lost your original letter and need to confirm your FEIN - the IRS will send you the letter 147C that may be used when you are asked for the CP575 Letter.You may use the letter 147C to confirm that your FEIN is valid.I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you will all tax related issues.