Angie
Angie, Tax Preparer
Experience:  Bookkeeping, Profit and Loss, Balance SheetsAll types of US Taxes, Tennessee taxes, Personal, business, payroll, sales tax etc.
69500136

At one point in 2015, I worked company that in 2014 had

Customer Question

At one point in 2015, I worked for a company that in 2014 had closed the physical NYC office and everyone from then worked from home. I lived in Connecticut at the time. On my 2015 taxes, I was still deducted NY state taxes (as well as CT state taxes, where I was living/working from home office FT). Shouldn't I be able to get those paid NY taxes back, since there was no physical office for the company anywhere in NY state? If so how/where do that on tax filing?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Charles Markham replied 8 months ago.
You don't get those taxes back, per se. You file a non-resident tax return in NY and pay taxes on the NY wages. Then when you file your CT tax return you claim a tax credit for the taxes paid to NY. Essentially, you should be able to get a nearly full credit on CT which in effect is like "getting the money back".
Expert:  Angie replied 7 months ago.
The previous expert's answer is correct. Do you need clarification of any point or follow up information?