Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

Can I show tuition receipts instead of 1098t?

Customer Question

Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
I am not clear - to whom are you going to show?Do you receive a letter from the IRS to provide supporting documents for your educational expenses?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Having trouble accessing my 1098t so I wanted to see if there was any alternative
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
To file your tax return - you generally do not need form 1098T.But you need to know information reported on that form.If you report incorrect information - you need to know that your school send all that information you see on 1098T to the IRS.So if the IRS system finds mismatch that affect your tax liability - you may expect a letter.But as long as you know all information - you do not need actual form 1098T.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If there is incorrect info Will it automatically/instantly get rejected or will it take time?
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
That depends what exactly is not correct.If you put incorrect amount - the validation will be done later.But the main issue - if that mistake affect your tax calculations.If not - there will not be any letters,
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So if it's completely off it will reject right away?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If I don't submit the 1098t, what will happen and can I submit it next year without any penalties?
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
That is based on your tax preparation software - it runs some validation and that is not related to the IRS.The IRS allows to e-file without form 1098T - you you may get around.However - later the IRS runs internal validation to verify reporting on tax return and whatever were reported by your school.If you do not provide information about your educational expenses - that is your choice - but in this case you would not get any educational credits.There is no penalties.Penalties woudl be ONLY if you claim a credit for which you do not qualify.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If I submit this years 2015 1098t next year will I still get the same educational credits as I would've had the previous year?
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
You may not use information from 1098T for 2015 on your 2016 tax return.If you miss some information on the tax return which is already filed and accepted - and want corrections - you would need to file an amended tax return for 2015.If may be done later.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Wait so if I don't add 1098t in my 2015 tax return i can amend, up to 3 years to add it on that return? Also is the amendment process difficult?
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
Correct - you always may amend later.But if you are due a refund - there is a statute of limitation - three years to claim a refund.But there is no time limit to amend.To amend we need to use form 1040X.We may not file this form electronically.You still may use your tax preparation software - but will need to print, sign and main that form to the IRS.I would not say that is more difficult than to prepare your original return.