Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

I got divorced in June of 2015, in our settlement I have no

Customer Question

I got divorced in June of 2015, in our settlement I have no child support or alimony but I pay all the bills for all of the kids (4). For whatever reason, I seem tone getting punished for doing whats right for my kids in that I can't right off my first kids college expenses because I made too much money (103,000). Any advice?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 months ago.
HelloActually there is no getting around the income level fro claiming education costs. If your income is over the limit then you cannot use the credits.As far as child support, that is not deductible even if court ordered. Alimony would be but at least you are not required to pay alimony.If you are claiming your child(ren) as dependents then you are receiving that benefit. The only thing you could look to do is reduce your income by perhaps using pre-taxed items at work (401k, health) these come off before tax is calculated and would reduce your income.No help this year but for future it may be.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 months ago.
Checking to see if you responded