Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I am a home health therapist and I use my personal vehicle

Customer Question

I am a home health therapist and I use my personal vehicle for work. I am reimbursed $0.45 per mile. I want to know if I can write of the mileage for taxes and if so, how much?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more so we can help you best.
Customer: I am a home health therapist and I use my personal vehicle for work. I am reimbursed $0.45 per mile. I want to know if I can write of the mileage for taxes and if so, how much?
JA: Anything else I can tell the Accountant before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 months ago.
Standard mileage rates for different years - you will find herehttps://www.irs.gov/Tax-Professionals/Standard-Mileage-RatesFor instance in 2015, the standard mileage rate was 57.5 cents per mile for business miles driven..So if you are reimbursed 45 cents per business mile mile in 2015 - in additional to that - you may deduct 12.5 cents for each mile.How to deduct - depends on whether you are an employee or self-employed contractor.Let me know if you need any help with reporting.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Let me be clear. I drove 14,416 miles for business in 2015. I was paid $7,837 (0.45 per mile). Do I deduct 57.5 cents for the entire 14,416 miles or just the 12.5 cents, since I was already reimbursed the 45 cents?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
sorry it was 17416
Expert:  Lev replied 7 months ago.
I assume that you are an employee and your wages are reported on W2 form.In this case - you will use for form 2106 to calculate deductible expenses.https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f2106.pdfStart with Part II Vehicle Expenses and enter all required information.line 13 Business miles = 17416line 22 Multiply line 13 by 57.5&cent; = $10014 -> Enter the result here and on line 1 = $10014line 6 = $10014 (assuming no other business deductionsline 7 Enter reimbursements received from your employer = $7,837line 8 Subtract line 7 from line 6 -- $10014 - $7,837 = $2177 << -- that is deductible amount..So your actually deduct 12.5 cents per mile - not reimbursed business expenses.