emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor

My wife claims our daughter as a dependent, but I paid her

Customer Question

My wife claims our daughter as a dependent, but I paid her college expenses from her 529, of which I am ownder FBO my daughter. I am trying to enter the expenses but Turbotax wont let me.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Anything else I can tell the Accountant before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: never mind. I will try to find the answer elsewhere
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 6 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.Unfortunately if you don't claim her as your dependent you will not be able to claim any education expenses or credit. Education benefits goes with the exemption, meaning whoever claims the exemption for the student (parent or the student him/herself) can claim education education benefit. From IRS publication: "Qualified education expenses paid on behalf of the student by someone other than the student (such as a relative) are treated as paid by the student. However, qualified education expenses paid (or treated as paid) by a student who is claimed as a dependent on your tax return are treated as paid by you."
Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?
I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.