emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

My daughter recently divorced in Florida Nov 2015 with custody

Customer Question

My daughter recently divorced in Florida Nov 2015 with custody of two children. Can she be forced by divorce agreement to file Joint Return for 2015 and pay 1/2 the taxes.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 9 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. If she was legally separated or divorced on December 31, 2015 she cannot file a joint return. For tax purposes she was unmarried and her only options are filing as single or Head of household. IRS doesn't honor divorce agreements any more.
Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?
I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.