emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I have a single member LLC based in DC, where I employ two

Customer Question

I have a single member LLC based in DC, where I employ two Maryland residents. I live in Maryland. I do not understand why Intuit Online Payroll is saying I have to pay Maryland income tax by April 15 for 1st quarter 2016, but I have not entered my earnings or the LLC's earnings (the LLC is a disregarded entity anyway because I have not elected S-Corp status). Why would I have to pay Maryland quarterly estimated taxes when Maryland has no basis to asses the $1632 tax payment.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 8 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. Your payroll taxes and your LLC earnings are not the same thing. If you have employees you are expected to pay them and withhold payroll taxes regardless if your LLC has earnings or not. There's also contribution to unemployment insurance contribution that is also employer responsibility. Your payroll estimates are not based on LLC earnings, you will need your payroll records to file your quarterly payroll return. You may also need to file federal quarterly payroll returns.
Here's MD guide to payroll withholding and taxes: http://forms.marylandtaxes.com/15_forms/Withholding_Guide.pdfAnd here for federal: https://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Employment-Taxes-2
Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today? And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.