Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience

Husband and wife partnership 50/50. This partnership was held

Customer Question

Husband and wife partnership 50/50. This partnership was held in revocable living trust. Wife passed away in 2015. Does partnership end on date of her death? Does surviving husband report income from remainder of 2015 as sole proprieter on 1040? Does he get step up basis for assets(including real estate) owned by partnership
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Anything else I can tell the Accountant before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.
Hi,...The rules differ for partnerships, depending on whether or not a partnership agreement signed by all partners exists....With a basic general partnerships, if one or more of the owners die, under the default regulations, when no partnership agreement exists, the partnership dissolves....So yes, the husband does a final 1065, that only includes operations up to the date of death, and files as sole proprietor including everything after the date of death....And yes, as self-employed the taxation all still comes to the individual, and husband receives a step-up on 1/2 of property jointly owned or owned together in the partnership