Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

I have a question about dual status return.JA: The Accountant

Customer Question

I have a question about dual status return.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more so we can help you best.
Customer: I got a O-1 visa in May 2015 and started working immediately. I also passed the substantial presence test in november, so I'm filing a dual return. I can't find any clear information online about what should be included on the Dual Status Statement. Is it just the income for the period while I was a nonresident, with no tax calculations?
JA: Anything else I can tell the Accountant before I connect you two?
Customer: no that's all.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 10 months ago.
Hi,...You must file Form 1040 if you are a dual-status taxpayer who is a U.S. resident on the last day of the tax year. Write "Dual-Status Return" across the top of your return and attach a statement showing the income for the part of the year you were a nonresident. You can use Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ as the statement. Write "Dual-Status Statement" across the top....And no, you will need the calculations but each will have different assumptions....You're essentially doing two different returns and attaching one as the statement....For example:...Tax Return #1 - Prepare the return for the first part of the year. If you were a nonresident alien at the beginning of the year, prepare Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ....If you were a resident alien at the beginning of the year, prepare Form 1040. Only include income for the part of the year you had this status. This federal return is used as the dual-status statement.....Tax Return #2 - Prepare the return for the end of the year. If you were a nonresident alien on the last day of the year, prepare Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ....If you were a resident alien on the last day of the calendar year, prepare Form 1040. Only include income for the part of the year you had this status. This federal return is used as the dual-status return.