Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

Using the 2008-2018 Luxembourg 'reclaim citizenship law', th

Customer Question

Using the 2008-2018 Luxembourg 'reclaim citizenship law', this May I and all my descendants will become permanent dual citizens of the USA and Luxembourg. I understand that the US and Luxembourg have a dual citizenship agreement whereby income taxes are paid only to the country in which the person lived while earning said income. But, how about 'non-earned' income and assets, such as IRAs, pensions, SS, etc.?
Robert Arens ***@******.***
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 months ago.
HelloUnearned income is covered in the treaty. Article 12 covers interest, resident state taxes.Article 14 covers Gains (capital) both may tax depending on where the property is located but the resident country give a tax credit.Article 19 covers pensions and SS. If pension is paid for past employment then it is taxed by country where it was earned. SS paid is taxed by the paying country. IRAs are taxed in the US because they are a US account. Above is the treaty.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 months ago.
You are most welcome.My goal is to give you excellent service.Your positive rating is thanks enough.You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 months ago.
You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.