Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

Is a rental mobile home less than 400 sq foot considered as

Customer Question

is a rental mobile home less than 400 sq foot considered as an RV for depreciation by the IRS
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i have a mobile home rental business and need the life span for depreciation
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 9 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. RV (recreational vehicle) is a living unit on wheels that moves around. You can drive it/transport it using public highways without special permit. Mobile home is a small home stained in permanent location.
For tax purposes, mobile homes are treated as residential homes (depreciated for 27.5 years). RV are treated as vehicles (depreciated for 5 years). Can you describe your business?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We have single / double rooms mobile homes with axles and wheels that are stationed on our property which are rented out to customers on a daily / weekly / monthly basis just like motels rent out rooms, we also have spots where Customers bring in their own RV for parking / staying and pay rent, my question is can we depreciate the mobile homes as RV in five years to maximize the savings for now and can we take bonus depreciation or Section 179 too on these mobile homes ???
Ok Let me ask you this way. Can you just hook up the mobile home to a car a drive away with it any time you want without any restrictions? If the answer is yes, than it is treated as RV. If the answer is no, than it is mobile home.