emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor

Do you have to reduce your medical expenses by the long term

Customer Question

do you have to reduce your medical expenses by the long term care benefits that are received by a chronically ill taxpayer?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the taxpayer paid money for nurse and aide care 24/7 before he passed away. he qualifies for medical deductions, but not if he has to reduce the payments by the long term care benefits.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 6 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. If the long term benefits are from a pre-tax source (tax free assistance, Insurance, state assistance, money that have never been taxed), you cannot include expenses paid with the LTCB in your medical expenses.
I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?
And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.