Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

My name is ***** *****. Issue regarding 1099 Div rec'd after

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. Issue regarding 1099 Div rec'd after a company was sold. Stock was received in lieu of salary over a period of 5 years. Do I treat it as regular income? If it was over 5 years, can I apportion my taxes?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what do you need to know?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Lev replied 8 months ago.
If shares were held more than a year - the gain is treated as long term.As shares were awarded in lieu of salary - the value of shares should be included into your taxable wages.Please verify that amount - and that would be your basis.If you paid any money for shares out of pocket - that is also included into basis.
Expert:  Lev replied 8 months ago.
.As the corporation was sold - you should receive form 1099B.If you received 1099div - it is possible the corporation was liquidated and that form reports liquidation distribution.Please verify..I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.