Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I had an Enrolled Agent help me with tax debt. I gave them

Customer Question

I had an Enrolled Agent help me with tax debt. I gave them power of attorney so they could investigate my last 10 years. After I argued about their practices and fired them, I made a complaint to the BBB and the Florida Department Consumer Services. They responded to those agencies and sent them a copy of my 10 year history calling me a criminal and a tax evader.
JA: Hi Florida Department Consumer Services. The Accountant will know how to help. Anything else I can tell the Accountant before I connect you two?
Customer: They sent them the confidential 10 year tax history to them.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I had an Enrolled Agent help me with tax debt. I gave them power of attorney so they could investigate my last 10 years. After I argued about their practices and fired them, I made a complaint to the BBB and the Florida Department Consumer Services. They responded to those agencies and sent them a copy of my 10 year tax history calling me a criminal and a tax evader.
Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.
Hi,...I can help here....IRC Section 7525 provides a client with a privilege similar to an attorney-client privilege when they make certain tax-related disclosures to, CPAs, Enrolled Agents, and any other individual authorized under federal law to practice before the IRS, (called Federally Authorized Tax Practitioners)....I would consider reporting them to the professional associations (if they are CPA, the AICPA- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. If tax attorneys, to the state regulatory bar)....This often gets their attention more quickly, and a response more quickly, than reporting to IRS....Do note, however, that the privilege applies to situations in which the taxpayer is being represented in cases involving audits and collection matters. It is not applicable to the preparation and filing of a tax return....And of course you certainly have recourse in a civil cause of action under both libel and slander (defamation) if you an show that this has irreparably damaged your reputation....Here's the information about filing a complaint with the AICPA:http://www.aicpa.org/interestareas/professionalethics/resources/ethicsenforcement/pages/howto.aspx..And there's the state board of accountancy and the state regulatory bar at the state level....Please let me know if you have any questions at all....If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit That’s the only way JustAnswer will credit us for the work here....Thank you!Lane……I hold a JD (Juris Doctorate, the law degree), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security & Medicare, estate, corporate & tax advice since 1986....