Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

I had an audit by BOE in 2009 that my ex-wife and I lost though

Customer Question

I had an audit by BOE in 2009 that my ex-wife and I lost though contested. The audit was for our restaurant that was a sole proprietorship. After we both filed personal bankruptcy in 2011, BOE assigned the debt to me personally though my ex did the tax filings. In 2010, I closed another restaurant that we had opened which was an S corporation. Our CPA did not file a the quarter in which we closed. Over the next 5 years, BOE estimated that quarter and charged penalties. Somehow they built that quarter into 250k when the restaurant didnt gross 100k in a month. Since I was an officer on that corporation, they assigned the debt to me.
They have since combined the two debts into a lump sum and put me on the BOE top 500 certified list. Though they know I can not possibly pay 526k, they want payments of $800+ a month to get on a plan. Though that might be feasible some day, it is not now. They have since revoked my drivers license due to being on this list as per B&P code 494.5. Do I have any options other than paying this payment for the rest of my life in California?
Steve Nolan
Category: Tax
Expert:  PDtax replied 8 months ago.
Hi from Just Answer. I'nCustomer I can assist.