Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I'm in California I am executor of a trust who just sold the

Customer Question

I'm in California I am executor of a trust who just sold the house in five months need to know what forms I need to file before I disperse the funds from the house to all Who is entitled
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 months ago.
You will report the sale transaction on form 8949 - and the gain or loss will be transferred to schedule D and eventually to form 1041.What we need to verify - if the property is inherited. If yes - there will be so-called stepped up basis equals to the fair market value at the time the decedent passed away. Thus - if the property is sold shortly after that - there will not likely be any gain - but may be a small loss because of selling expenses - and that loss will be passed to beneficiaries.Please be aware if the trust realized a loss or have unused deductible expenses- these are passed to beneficiaries on the FINAL tax return. Let me know if you need any help with reporting.