Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

My daughter is an IA resident but attends college full time

Customer Question

My daughter is an IA resident but attends college full time in IL. She has earned income for an employer in IA that didn't withhold state tax. She has two jobs in IL - one that withheld state tax and one that didn't. How is she supposed to file? Thanks
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
If she is a resident of IA and nonresident of IL - she would first prepare her IL tax return as a nonresident.In IL she will be ONLY taxed on income form IL sources.Then she will prepare IA tax return as a resident - and will be taxed on ALL worldwide income regardless of the source.However - as a resident - she will claim a credit for taxes paid to IL - thus effectively will avoid double taxation of the same income.Questions?
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
a nonresident, you must file Form IL-1040 and Schedule NR ifNOTE: If you are a nonresident and your only income in Illinois is from one or more partnerships, S corporations, or trusts that withheld enough Illinois Income Tax to pay your liability, you are not required to file a Form IL-1040.you earned enough taxable income from Illinois sources to have a tax liability (i.e., your Illinois base income from Schedule NR, Step 5, Line 46, is greater than your Illinois exemption allowance on Schedule NR, Step 5, Line 50), oryou want a refund of any Illinois Income Tax withheld in error. You must attach a letter of explanation from your employer...I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.