Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

My husband died in 9/2014. We filed a joint return

Customer Question

My husband died in 9/2014. We filed a joint return for 2014 taxes. I received a 1099-C for student loan debt in his name. How do I claim it on my tax return? my name is Terre
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My husband died in 9/2014. We filed a joint return for 2014 taxes. I received a 1099-C for student loan debt in his name. How do I claim it on my tax return? The student loan was for his education. the 1099 is in his name
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Did I pay for this? I went to paypal, I can't tell
Expert:  Lev replied 9 months ago.
You are not responsible to claim that income if form 1099C is for 2015.IF however the form was issued for 2014 - you would need to include that amount into your 2014 tax return.
Expert:  Lev replied 9 months ago.
Please be aware that the amount of cancelled debt is generally taxable HOWEVER you might be eligible to exclude that income by filing form 982 if you are insolvent.Please let me know if you need any help with reporting...I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.