Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

What happens if by accident I filed my taxes twice

Customer Question

Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
Hi and welcome to our site!You would NOT be able to file your tax return twice...After the IRS accept and process your tax return - the IRS system will reject any subsequent filing.If you want to make changed to the tax return which was already filed - you woudl need to file an amended tax return - using form 1040X and main that tax return to the IRS.Let me know if you need any help with that.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So I just have to wait until my taxes are received by the IRS
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
If you e-filed - there is no wait - and your tax return will be accepted or rejected almost immediately.
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
In most situations you woudl have a real time response as a matter of several minutes.If you mailed your tax return to the IRS - that will take a little longer for processing - but you will be able to verify your status on the IRS website..I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.