Tyrone J. Taylor
Tyrone J. Taylor, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  Owner at Taylor Tax and Financial Consulting
93207456

In 2014 I worked MO. company based in Monett, MO. I worked

Customer Question

In 2014 I worked MO. for a company based in Monett, MO. I worked full time from my home in Arkansas but the company withheld based on the MO state tax rate. I understand the withholding should have been at the AR rate. Can you refund the MO tax withheld by mistake so I can use it to offset my AR taxes?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tyrone J. Taylor replied 8 months ago.
Good afternoon, I am an Enrolled Agent with 9 years of professional tax experience.Did your employer withhold Arkansas taxes at the Missouri rate? Or, did they just hold Missouri taxes at the Missouri rate?From my experience, you will have to file a non-resident tax return for Missouri if they withheld Missouri taxes. You will receive back all the taxes that were withheld. If they withheld Arkansas taxes at the Missouri rate, then you will receive a refund if Missouri's tax rate is higher than Arkansas' rate.I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if you need clarification about this answer. If not, please feel free to rate my answer. Thank you, ***** ***** a great day.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will check with the Payroll Dept. However, I do know that the Arkansas taxes are quite a bit higher that Missouri.
Your W-2 should say what state they withheld taxes for. If it says MO, they withheld for Missouri, and you will need to file a MO Non-resident tax return to get it back. If they withheld for AR, then go ahead and file a regular AR resident tax return.
Good morning,I am checking to see if you needed any clarification for my answer. If your question has been answered, please go ahead and rate my answer so your question can be closed out. Thank you.