Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

What do I do if I didn't pay my estimated taxes and

Customer Question

what do I do if I didn't pay my estimated taxes for 2015 and I now owe 6,300 and cant afford to pay it now? I now have estimated taxes due for 2016 and can pay the first installment , but need to know what to do about the 2015 I owe and is it possible to make a payment plan with irs.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
These are two separate issues - regarding estimated tax payments and your ability to pay tax due before the due date.Let discuss these separately...1.The United States income tax system is a pay-as-you-go tax system, which means that you must pay income tax as you earn or receive your income during the year. You can do this either through withholding or by making estimated tax payments. If you do not pay your tax or you pay an insufficient amount of tax through withholding, you might also have to pay estimated taxes. If you did not pay enough tax throughout the year, either through withholding or by making estimated tax payments, you may have to pay a penalty for underpayment of estimated tax. Generally, most taxpayers will avoid this penalty if they either owe less than $1,000 in tax after subtracting their withholding and estimated tax payments, or if they paid at least 90% of the tax for the current year or 100% of the tax shown on the return for the prior year, whichever is smaller..Generally, taxpayers should make estimated tax payments in four equal amounts to avoid a penalty. However, if you receive income unevenly during the year, you may be able to vary the amounts of the payments to avoid or lower the penalty by using the annualized installment method. Use Form 2210, Underpayment of Estimated Tax by Individuals, Estates, and Trusts, to see if you owe a penalty for underpaying your estimated tax. will use that form with your tax return and will calculate underpayment penalty for 2015 and that amount will be added to your 2015 tax liability.
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
2.Here is what to do if you can’t pay all your taxes by the due date.File on time and pay as much as you can. File on time to avoid a late filing penalty. Pay as much as you can to reduce interest charges and a late payment penalty. You can pay online, by phone, or by check or money order. Visit for electronic payment options.Get a loan or use a credit card to pay your tax. The interest and fees charged by a bank or credit card company may be less than IRS interest and penalties. For credit card options, see the Online Payment Agreement tool. You don’t need to wait for IRS to send you a bill before you ask for a payment plan. The best way is to use the Online Payment Agreement tool on You can also file Form 9465, Installment Agreement Request, with your tax return. You can even set up a direct debit agreement. With this type of payment plan, you won’t have to write a check and mail it on time each month. It also means you won’t miss payments that could lead to more penalties.Don’t ignore a tax bill. If you get a bill, don’t ignore it. The IRS may take collection action if you ignore the bill. Contact the IRS right away to talk about your options. If you are suffering a financial hardship, the IRS will work with you.In short, remember to file on time. Pay as much as you can by the tax deadline and pay the rest as soon as you can...I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.