Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I have been divorced years. We initially had 50/50 custody

Customer Question

I have been divorced for 10 years. We initially had 50/50 custody with me claiming our one child in odd years and my ex claiming her in even years. The divorce agreement was legally changed last year with me getting 95 percent custody. I receive no child support from my ex. My question is can I now legally claim my child every year as a dependent?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 8 months ago.
HelloIf the decree did not state that you must switch years and the child lived with you more nights in the year you are the custodial parent and may claim the child as a dependent.Receiving child support is not required but that you are the custodial parent and the decree did not state that you must switch years.You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 8 months ago.
Checking to see if you responded