Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I have an inherited IRA from my mother, from which I took a

Customer Question

I have an inherited IRA from my mother, from which I took a $10000 RMD. All contributions were made in Pennsylvania. I live in NJ. Is any of the distribution an "unrecovered contribution" for NJ state tax purposes?
JA: Hi Ira. The Accountant will know how to help. Anything else I can tell the Accountant before I connect you two?
Customer: No, thanks
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 8 months ago.
HelloA short answer is no. Contributions to an IRA are subject to New Jersey income tax in the year they are made. When you make a withdrawal from an IRA, the amount you contributed is not taxable, since the contributions were taxed at the time they were made. None of these were ever subject to NJ taxation by your mother if she was not living in NJ when she contributed so the full amount is taxable now in NJ to you as the receiver of the money.You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 8 months ago.
Checking to see if you responded