Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

My daughter was in the hospital 45 days liver transplant.

Customer Question

my daughter was in the hospital 45 days for a liver transplant. My wife and I stayed locally during the hospital stay. Is the money we spent on meals deductible?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
Sorry for your situation...You can include in medical expenses amounts you pay for the cost of inpatient care at a hospital or similar institution if a principal reason for being there is to receive medical care. This includes amounts paid for meals and lodging.So expenses paid for your daughter are clearly medical expenses because the principal reason for her being in the hospital is to receive medical care.
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.
Specifically for trips which have the principal reason to receive medical care.You can include in medical expenses amounts you pay for transportation to another city if the trip is primarily for, and essential to, receiving medical services. You may be able to include up to $50 for each night for each person. You can include lodging for a person traveling with the person receiving the medical care. For example, if a parent is traveling with a sick child, up to $100 per night can be included as a medical expense for lodging. Meals aren't included.So while your lodging and meal expenses are related to your daughter's medical condition - you may deduct $50 per day for lodging as medical expenses - but may not deduct your meal expenses while on the trip..I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.