Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

I had no income last year, not listed dependent. I am homeless

Customer Question

I had no income last year, not listed dependent. I am homeless and dependent on the kindness of friends until I got my education. Now I have 1098-T for 2014 $12,375 and 2015 $ 4,394. I was told I can get $1000 back by filing. How do I do this?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 months ago.
HelloYou heard about the American Opportunity Education Credit. It is a tax credit of up to $2,500 of the cost of tuition, fees and course materials paid during the taxable year. Also, 40% of the credit (up to $1,000) is refundable. This means you can get it even if you owe no tax.You claim an education tax credit by completing Form 8863, Education Credits, and attaching it to Form 1040 or 1040A.You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 months ago.
Checking to see if you responded