Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My wife and I are filing jointly. We make combined income of

Customer Question

My wife and I are filing jointly. We make combined income of 83,600. I need to know, if we make an IRA contribution will it be a full deduction or partial deduction. I am 64, she's 56.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

I can help you here. If neither of you was covered under a workplace plan for 2015 (pension, 401(k), etc) then the IRA's a fully deductible.

...

It's when there IS a plan at work that was used by you or amounts were credited for you (again, called qualified plan coverage) that the income becomes important.

...

If that's the case, then, for 2015 the limit for deductibility for a couple filing jointly is at 98000. (Said differently, at income of 98000 or less there's a full deduction up to the amount of your contribution limit).

...

It would only be for those households whose income is between 98,000 and 118,000 that there would be a partial deduction (and no deduction for incomes above that)

...

I hope this has helped.

...

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd really appreciate a positive rating (using the , faces, or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit”)

...

That’s the only way JustAnswer will credit us for the work here.

...

Thank you!

Lane

I hold a JD (Juris Doctorate, a doctoral degree in the law), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security & Medicare, estate, corporate & tax advice since 1986.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.

...

Did my answer help?

...

Let me know…

...

Thanks

Lane