Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

I am a resident allient with 2 kids, and my husband is

Customer Question

I am a resident allient with 2 kids, and my husband is holding B1/2 vistor visa, however, he may stay in U.S. for more than 183 days, does that qualify him for an resident allient? Am not sure if he will stay in U.S. for more than 183 days right now, how should I file my W-4 now? many thanks!
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

To meet the substantial presence test, you must be physically present in the U.S. during a period you do not hold an A, F, G, J, M or Q visa on at least:

1. 31 days during the current year, and
  2. 183 days during the 3-year period that includes the current year and the previous two years, counting:
  • all of the days you were present in the current year, and
  • 1/3 of the days you were present in the first preceding year, and
  • 1/6 of the days you were present in the second preceding year.

In the meantime, right now you can complete your W-4 as married with either 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4 exemptions. It is your choice. My suggestion is married with 2 exemptions.

Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please! Thx!(###) ###-####
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

I answered your email from your other question for which accepted my Premium Service offer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thx!
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

My pleasure.