Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

I've lost my benefit summary notice from soc sec. How might

Customer Question

I've lost my benefit summary notice from soc sec. How might I receive a copy for tax purposes
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.

An SSA-1099 is a tax form we mail each year in January to people who receive Social Security benefits. It shows the total amount of benefits you received from Social Security in the previous year so you know how much Social Security income to report to IRS on your tax return.

Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.

If you currently live in the United States and you need a replacement form SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S, the SSA has a new way for you to get an instant replacement quickly and easily beginning February 1st by:

• Using the online my Social Security account. If you don’t already have an account, you can create one online. Go to Sign In or Create an Account. Once you are logged in to your account, select the "Replacement Documents" tab;

• Calling the SSA at 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.; or

• Contacting your local Social Security office.