Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
58285678

I have a question regarding the statute of limitations IRS.

Customer Question

Good Morning. I have a question regarding the statute of limitations for the IRS. Can you please tell me in simple terms what the IRS statute of limitations are? Thank you, ***** ***** (***@******.*** )
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 1 year ago.

Typically the SOL (Statute of Limitations) is ten years for tax collection. However, in some circumstances, that time period can be extended, and in the case that a return was never filed or fraudulent activity has occurred, the SOL period does not apply, which means that the IRS can go after a person for as long as they want to. Regarding assessing additional taxes, typically the IRS has 3 years years from the due date of the return or the date on which it was filed. For more detailed information, you can refer to the following link:

''http://tax.findlaw.com/tax-problems-audits/what-is-the-irs-statute-of-limitations-or-deadline-for-action-on-.html

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter. If all is clear, please be so kind as to positively rate my response 3 or more stars so that I can receive credit for assisting you.