Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

My wife was in a Nursing home/Rehabilitation center from

Customer Question

My wife was in a Nursing home/Rehabilitation center from April3, 2015 to September 23, 2015 for treatment and rehab after suffering an Angio Edema, from Lisinopril, on January 30, 2015, resulting in a cardiac arrest, 2 week coma, 6 broken ribs, ARDS, pneumonia etc and a 2 month hospitalization, then rehab, PT & OT at the center. Medicare coverage ran out and we paid $17,000 for the last few months of her stay. May we deduct this as a medical deduction when itemizing
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 months ago.

Absolutely - yes - these are deductible medical expenses.

Expert:  Lev replied 8 months ago.

Please see for reference IRS publication 502 page 12

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf

Nursing Home
You can include in medical expenses the cost of medical care in a nursing home, home for the aged, or similar institution, for yourself, your spouse, or your dependents. This includes the cost of meals and lodging in the home if a principal reason for being there is to get medical care
.

So far - because the PRINCIPAL reason for your wife being there was to get MEDICAL care - all related costs are deducted as medical expenses.

Let me know if you need any help with reporting.