Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

Well, I have a question about a 1098, my domestic partner

Customer Question

Well, I have a question about a 1098, my domestic partner isn't listed on the mortgage (which is now paid off) however, she is on the title to the house and paid the interest during 2015. Is she eligible to claim the interest she paid?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 months ago.

Yes - if your domestic partner is listed on the title as a legal owner of the property - she is eligible to deduct mortgage interest she paid during 2015.

Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.

However - the IRS will do verification and will compare deductible mortgage interest with the amount reported on form 1098.

If your domestic partner will simply report mortgage interest deduction - it is possible that the IRS would send a letter asking for supporting documents.

To avoid such situations - I suggest to attach a note to the tax return with explanation of facts and reasoning.

Let me know if you need any clarification this matter.