PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  35 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.
64119565

I have a question about the filing of the NYS 45 form, We

Customer Question

Hello....I have a question about the filing of the NYS 45 form
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more so we can help you best.
Customer: We have to file a revised NYS 45 becuase we think we reported the wrong Total UI Renumeration paid this quarter (Section D-C)
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Additionally, the form says Gross Federal Wages however when we spoke to the state they said it should be Gross Wages
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: NOT Gross Federal
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Also. It seems that the state wages and federal wages are the same on both my reports except for officers under Federal Wages. Does that make sense? I have to assume it has something to with the health care adjustment that was made at the end of the year.
Expert:  PDtax replied 8 months ago.
I'm PDtax. I can assist.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you. Does my question make sense?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What additional information can I provide you. It seems like according to the instructions on the NYS 45, the UI Renumeration should be Gross Wages....however they ask you to provide Total Federal Gross Wages when you file the last quarter so it seems odd to me that they would want Gross for the quarter and then Federal Gross for the full year.
Expert:  PDtax replied 8 months ago.

Hi. PDtax again.

Typically, NYS-45 wages matches Federal gross wages. It includes executive compensation, including officers.

The health care adjustment does not affect the total to be reported to NY. If the gross wage total does not match the 941 total, you will be asked to reconcile the difference. It is very rare these are not the same, and your examples do not meet any exception I know of.

To summarize, gross wages for the quarter on NYS-45 = gross wages on 941 for the quarter.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Please rate my assistance using the star scale to close out your inquiry. If you need more assistance, please ask. I'm PDtax.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you! Just to confirm, the UI remuneration for the quarter should be the Federal Wages?
Expert:  PDtax replied 8 months ago.

Hi again.

the UI remuneration for the quarter should be the Federal Wages. Then, you adjust the NYS UI remuneration for wages not subject to NYSUI, typically wages over the tax base.

Thanks again for using Just Answer. Please rate my assistance to close out your request. I'm PDtax.

Expert:  PDtax replied 8 months ago.

I tried to accept phone call offer. I'll make the offer to you.