Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My family is settling an estate. We closed a Vanguard

Customer Question

My family is settling an estate. We closed a Vanguard account. Does the estate have to pay capital gains tax?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

...

Not if the capital gains is passed out to the beneficiaries on the K-1

...

Income earned by a trust or estate that’s paid out to a beneficiary in the same year as it’s earned must be reported to that beneficiary on Schedule K-1, and that income maintains its character when it’s distributed.

...

Please let me know if you have questions

...

Lane

...

...

I hold a JD (Juris Doctorate, a doctoral degree in the law), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security & Medicare, estate, corporate & tax advice since 1986