Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses

If I sell a house in the philippines and i have to pay

Customer Question

if I sell a house in the philippines and i have to pay capital gains there, then I transfer the money to my US bank by wire, do I have to report the sale and my gain here on my US TAX RETURN?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: not at this point.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Anne replied 6 months ago.

I'm Anne. I've been preparing taxes for 28 years and I'll be happy to help you.

As a US citizen or Resident Alien, you must report your world wide income, so yes, you need to report the sale.

There is a Foreign Tax Credit (form 1116) that will give you some relief for the double taxation .

If this answer helped you please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars.

It is ONLY through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge.

Thank you for choosing justanswer