Jonathan Tierney
Jonathan Tierney, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Tax Accountant at Praxair, Inc.
51959094

I traded the US Dollar ETF in 2015, but transaction was

Customer Question

I traded the US Dollar ETF in 2015, but transaction was purchased and sold within a month. Now, I received a K1 from this ETF provider and it showed I have a gain of $183 from Sec 1256 Contracts and Straddles. I only traded the ETF as stock and have a loss instead of gain.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What information is needed?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jonathan Tierney replied 11 months ago.

Hi , my name is ***** ***** I can help. The $183 gain from 1256 contracts gets reported on Form 6781 which then flows onto Schedule D as a long-term (60%) and short-term (40%) capital gain. In addition, your basis in the ETF is increased by $183, so your short-term loss on owning the ETF is increased by $183. You will actually benefit (aside from the additional paperwork involved) as 60% of the $183 is re-characterized to a long-term gain.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if I can clarify anything or answer any additional questions.

Thanks, Jonathan

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I purchased an ETF called PowerShares US Dollar Bullish Fund, but sold the ETF after a few days. This transaction happened in Feb 2015. In this transaction, it showed a loss of $96. Since I didn't own this fund after selling the ETF, why do I get a long term gain still?

The fund is actually a publicly traded partnership, which means it does not have to pay tax at the entity level like a corporation would. Instead it passes its income, deductions, credit, etc to its partners and they are responsible for paying any income taxes. This can also happen when buying a regular mutual fund, such as if you buy a fund at the end of the year and the fund issues a capital gain distribution and the shareholder who bought into the fund end's up being responsible for the fund gains that could have occurred before his or her purchase.

However, since your basis increases in this instance, you actually will not have to pay any additional tax.