I am filing
for 2015 Tax
and I have few questions.
- I am a new immigrant to US
- My wife is a US Citizen and I am from a country with no Us Tax Treaty
- I got the green card in Mid Sep, 2015
- We both lived in UAE all of 2015 (Jan to Dec), we moved to the US in March 2016
- For 2014, my wife filed "Married Filing Separately
” on Form 1040
with a foreign income exclusion Form 2555
-EZ, as I was not a US resident yet
- For 2015, she had no income
, she is a dependent
of me (housewife)
- My employer is a foreign company in Dubai with no US presence at all
- All the work was done in Dubai, No business trips to US
- My total monthly income in Dubai was above 9k (annual 100,800 / Jan to Dec 2015)
- Will it be easier if we file separately because I have two periods (I became a tax payer only after mid Sep)?
- If we file jointly, how do we fill the dates for each of us in the foreign income exclusion form 2555-EZ? (For her it’s 365 days, for me it will only be the days from mid Sep until end of Dec, right?, can we have separate dates? She is a dependent)
- Can she file separately yet I claim her as a dependent?
- If we file separately, what forms
should I use?
- If we file separately, we will report zero income for her, is that ok?
- What advice can you give us in general?