emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor

I just had a question regarding my taxes, I made $45K last

Customer Question

Hi my name is***** just had a question regarding my taxes
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I made $45K last year, but when I left my company I had to pay back $20K in termination fee back to my employer As a result I took out a loan, which requires me to back back $609 a month for 36 months and essentially I made $25K last year, considering the amount I paid back to my ex-employer I was wondering how I should file my taxes in this case
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 7 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help out.

When did you repaid it back to your employer? in 2015 or 2016?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi, thank you for responding back to my question.
I paid the termination fee in October 2015 when I left the company.

If you repaid it last year than you should request a corrected W2. If the employer will not issue you a corrected W2, you can claim the repayment as a deduction or a credit on Schedule A. You will have to figure it out both ways to see which one will give you better refund or lower balance.

Here are instructions how to do it:

Regarding the loan, you cannot deduct the payments and because it is personal, you cannot deduct the interest either.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But is a contract termination fee considered a repayment deduction?

You received W2, correct? What it said in your contract?

Employer is required to pay you for your time or work done. If you received advances (or higher pay) as a condition that you must stay with your employer for a certain period of time and your employment is terminated early, your termination fee is basically repayment of those advances.

Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.