Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

If I were to reside in Maine yet worked and owned a company

Customer Question

If I were to reside in Maine yet worked and owned a company in New Hampshire where would I pay my state income tax?
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  JudgeLaw replied 8 months ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  JudgeLaw replied 8 months ago.

If the state you work in does not have a reciprocal agreement with your “home” state (Maine and NH have no reciprocal agreement), you'll have to file a resident tax return and a nonresident tax return. On your resident tax return (for your “home” state), you list all sources of income, including that which you earned out-of-state.

Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

Hi I am a different expert and have a different answer. I was hoping the previous expert was going to add in what's the most important piece here ... but did not, and that was almost 20 minutes ago.

...

Although your resident state taxes all income (the tax policy there being that you use your resident state's resources) and, yes, you do file a non-resident return to report income EARNED in another state (can also happen if you own property in another state and sell for a gain or have rental income from that property)...

...

To prevent double taxation (paying tax to two different states on the same dollar of income) your RESIDENT state provides a tax CREDIT for the taxes paid to the other state.

...

Here's the worksheet for that from Maine: https://www1.maine.gov/revenue/forms/credits/2011/11_CrTaxPdOthrJurisWksht_revFeb12.pdf

...

Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

And depending on how you're organized, there can be other issues, such as a non-resident state taxing a corporation that's doing business IN their state.

...

But all of this is built around the tax policy/logic that where one resides, one pays taxes on income regardless of where its generated... But states (just as the US government has a tax credit for taxes paid to another government and taxes all worldwide income) provide a credit for taxes paid to another state, on their resident tax forms. Maine offers this credit.

...

It's done to prevent double taxation (although you'll end up paying tax at the higher state's rate) because your resident state can only provided a credit up to what it would tax.

...

Hope this has helped … let me know if you have questions

...

If this HAS helped, (and you don’t have additional questions on this), I'd really appreciate your positive rating … (by using the stars or rating request on your screen) … … That’s the only way I'll be credited a portion of what you've paid JustAnswer.

...

Thank you,

Lane

...

...

I hold a JD (Juris Doctorate, a doctoral degree in the law), concentration in Tax Law & Corporate law, an MBA (specialization in finance & tax), and BBA from Mercer University’s Stetson School of Business and Economics, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. I've been providing tax and corporate advice since 1986.