emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

Son age 30. in 2015 s income was less than $10k. He was in

Customer Question

son age 30. in 2015 his income was less than $10k. He was in drug rehab all cost paid by me for approx. $40k. I was responsible for all of his expenses as well. Is this a medical deduction and what back-up information is required to file for 2016?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 8 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Did your son made more than $4000?

First you will need to determine if you can claim your son as your dependent. Since he is too old to be your qualifying child, his income must be less than $4000 to qualify as your relative dependent.

You can only deduct medical expenses for yourself and your dependent claiming on your tax return. If he doesn't qualify to be your dependent (he made more than 4000), you will not be able to claim those medical expenses on your tax return.

To prove your deduction you will need actual recites and proof of payment such as canceled check or credit card recites.

Anyway, I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.