Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
58285678

I have traveled from CA to OR to be with my 35 year old

Customer Question

I have traveled from CA to OR to be with my 35 year old daughter who was on life support. Is my flight cost, hotel bill, or meals, tax deductible?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 8 months ago.

Q: Is my flight cost, hotel bill, or meals, tax deductible?

A: Unfortunately no, these expenses are not deductible. Certain medical expenses are deductible for you, your spouse, or dependents. SEE BELOW:

If you itemize your deductions for a taxable year on Form 1040, Schedule A (PDF), Itemized Deductions, you may be able to deduct expenses you paid that year for medical and dental care for yourself, your spouse, and your dependents. You may deduct only the amount of your total medical expenses that exceed 10% of your adjusted gross income or 7.5% if you or your spouse is 65 or older. The 7.5% limitation is effective only from January 1, 2013 to December 31, 2016 for individuals age 65 and older and their spouses. You figure the amount you are allowed to deduct on Form 1040, Schedule A.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc502.html

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter. If all is clear, please be so kind as to positively rate my response 3 or more stars so that I can receive credit for assisting you today.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
you are saying that absolutely no expenses to travel to see our child who is dying is tax deductible. If we are able to take her home for medical care there, are any of those travel expenses deductible for us?

Sadly, yes that is what I am saying, or shall I say, that is what the tax law dictates.

No, none of the expense will be deductible to you. Sorry. SEE BELOW:

Trips

You can include in medical expenses amounts you pay for transportation to another city if the trip is primarily for, and essential to, receiving medical services. You may be able to include up to $50 for each night for each person. You can include lodging for a person traveling with the person receiving the medical care. For example, if a parent is traveling with a sick child, up to $100 per night can be included as a medical expense for lodging. Meals aren't included.