Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

Living in FL (wife and husband). Husband works full time in

Customer Question

Living in FL (wife and husband). Husband works full time in FL. Wife commutes part of the year for a client in CA. Filing Married jointly. Do we have to pay taxes in CA? If yes do we have to pay taxes on the joint income in CA or just the wife's income?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Joint income ~ 200k. My/husband income: ~150k from FL; Wife's income ~ 50k from CA. Married filing jointly. When I went to a tax professional we ended up owing a lot of money to CA even though I never worked in CA. But they told us that our collective income is taxable in CA.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.

Being a nonresident of CA - they are ONLY taxed for income from CA sources.

As the wife works in CA - compensation she receives for that work is income from CA sources and is taxable for that state regardless of her residency.

The wife will be required to file CA tax return - they may choose to file jointly or separate tax return - but in any case - only income from CA sources will be taxable.

Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you will all tax related issues.