Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

This relates to form 8889. My employer contributed $750 year

Customer Question

This relates to form 8889 for HSA. My employer contributed $750 for tax year 2015 but I was not enrolled in a high deductible health plan in 2015. How do I fill out line 1 and line 3 of form 8889? I don't think the last month rule applies but perhaps it does because I have contributions but was not enrolled during any of the months of 2015 in a hi deduct health plan? If so, how do I fill out line 18-21?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 11 months ago.

The issue is that if you was not enrolled in a high deductible health plan in 2015 - you are not eligible for HSA contribution - and regardless if contributions weer made by you or by your employer - that would be over contributed amount - and subject to excise tax if not distributed before the due date of your tax return.
what you need to do - communicate with the administrator of your HSA account - and inform that you are not eligible - they will do corrective actions.

You will need to include all contributed amounts into your taxable income as you are not eligible for HSA.
Meanwhile - I suggest to file for extension - so you will have some additional time if corrective actions would not be completed by Apr 15.

Expert:  Lev replied 10 months ago.

.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you will all tax related issues.