Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

How do you report income in respect of a Decedent (IRD)? We

Customer Question

How do you report income in respect of a Decedent (IRD)? We cannot locate any info on Turbo Tax or anywhere else. My sister passed away on 12/22/2015 after spending basically the entire year (Stroke on January 10, 2015) in an in home health care facility. When she was placed in the facility we cashed in her annuity to pay for her monthly expenses since health insurance did not cover it. Thank you
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 months ago.

The final individual income tax return of a decedent is prepared and filed in the same manner as when they were alive. All income up to the date of death must be reported and all credits and deductions to which the decedent is entitled may be claimed. File the return using Form 1040 or, if the decedent qualifies, one of the simpler forms in the 1040 series (Forms 1040-A or 1040-EZ).

The income your sister had in 2015 would be included on her final return this includes the annuity that was cashed in on her behalf.

If your sister is due a refund of any individual income tax (Form 1040), you may claim that refund using IRS Form 1310, Statement of a Person Claiming Refund Due a Deceased Taxpayer.

Please accept my condolences and I hope this information is helpful.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 months ago.

Checking to see if you responded

Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 months ago.

Please let me know if you need more information than I have supplied already.