Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

My name is ***** ***** and live in NJ but have just changed

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** and live in NJ but have just changed my office location to NYC and therefore will be paying New York State taxes. What should my allowances be? I am filing married with 2 allowances? or should it be three? Thanks.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Right now my pay is showing 0 allowances and my filing status is "single, head of household or married but withhold at higher single rate" with 0 allowances. Should I change this to "married" filing status and 2 allowances?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I would like to add something else. I also have one child. My take home pay was lower that my usual amount. Prior to my office moving to NY my income was taxed in NJ, My federal taxes are not affected but I can make an adjustment to my state taxes which are now NY. I need to make an adjustment to my withholding amount in my pay. My filing status for NY is the following right now:
Expert:  Lev replied 8 months ago.

I assume that you are preparing form W4 for withholding - correct?
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf
If you are married and your spouse doesn't work - you will choose "Married"
If your spouse works - you would need to select "Married, but withhold at higher Single rate."

Expert:  Lev replied 8 months ago.

For NY state tax purposes - you would use a similar form
https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/it/it2104_fill_in.pdf
and same reasons - if you are married and your spouse doesn't work - you will choose "Married"