Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
58285678

My son is 46 yrs. old and on Social Security Disability due

Customer Question

My son is 46 yrs. old and on Social Security Disability due to Schizophrenia and impaired bowel. He lives with me. What is the criteria for EIC for my taxes?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 8 months ago.

Q: What is the criteria for EIC for my taxes?

A: Is your son considered permanently disabled? If so, he meets the qualifications as a qualifying child. If he is not considered permanently disabled, he does not meet the qualifying child requirements. SEE BELOW:

Relationship

• Your son, daughter, adopted child1, stepchild, foster child2 or a descendent of any of them such as your grandchild
  • Brother, sister, half brother, half sister, step brother, step sister or a descendant of any of them such as a niece or nephew

Age

• At the end of the filing year, your child was younger than you (or your spouse if you file a joint return) and younger than 19
  • At the end of the filing year, your child was younger than you (or your spouse if you file a joint return) younger than 24 and a full-time student
  • At the end of the filing year, your child was any age and permanently and totally disabled3

Residency

• Child must live with you (or your spouse if you file a joint return) in the United States4 for more than half of the year

Joint Return

• The child cannot file a joint return for the tax year unless the child and the child's spouse did not have a separate filing requirement and filed the joint return only to claim a refund.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.irs.gov/Credits-&-Deductions/Individuals/Earned-Income-Tax-Credit/Qualifying-Child-Rules

------------------------------------

EITC Requirements:

You qualify for EITC if:

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.irs.gov/Credits-&-Deductions/Individuals/Earned-Income-Tax-Credit/Do-I-Qualify-for-Earned-Income-Tax-Credit-EITC

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter. If all is clear, a positive rating of 3 or more stars is appreciated so that I can receive credit for assisting you today.