Tyrone J. Taylor
Tyrone J. Taylor, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  Owner at Taylor Tax and Financial Consulting
93207456

My accountant quit s business and no one can get a hold of

Customer Question

my accountant quit his business and no one can get a hold of him. he was doing my income taxes and allways got a refund for me. at one time since he did this our place and all our worldly item s burned up in a fire and we hired him because he said it woul take awhile but he could retrieve our lost. for several years he has done that but he never told us how .my question is how can I find out what he has been doing all this time.ineed this information so I can get my taxes done.i am retired from civil service gov.im 82 years oll
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tyrone J. Taylor replied 8 months ago.

Hello James,

I am an Enrolled Agent with 9 years of Tax Preparation and Tax Representation experience.

You can obtain copies of your tax returns form the IRS by filling out an IRS Form 4506. Here is a link to that form.
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf

However, I would suggest that you obtain the assistance of a tax professional that specializes in handling issues beyond simple tax preparation. The IRS allows tax professionals of three professions to represent taxpayers with a Power of Attorney - Attorneys, CPAs, and Enrolled Agents. Either of these professionals should be able to assist you by obtaining copies of your tax return transcripts, and reviewing them to see how the accountant was preparing your tax returns.

For Tax Attorney assistance, you can contact your local bar association for referral information.

For a CPA that specializes in tax, you can contact the AICPA
http://www.aicpa.org/FORTHEPUBLIC/FINDACPA/Pages/FindACPA.aspx

For an Enrolled Agent, you can contact the NAEA
http://taxexperts.naea.org/

Any of these professionals can help you in obtaining the documents required.

I hope the information I have provided to you is useful. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If you have no further questions, please kindly go ahead an provide my answer a rating. Thank you and have a good day.

Good afternoon,

I am just checking to see if you had any further questions about your issue. If not, please go ahead and provide a rating to my answer as that is how your question is closed out in my system. Thank you and have a great day.