Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Lev, I asked this question from you 3 years ago at that time

Customer Question

Hi Lev, I asked this question from you 3 years ago at that time I didn't file form 1116 because amount was too smal
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a canadian RRSP account which I deffered by filing in 2009. The value of account was 8079.16 then. I got a distribution of 9655 this year by closing the account. Although the canadian bank withold 25% taxes on it is 2413. I am filing taxes using turbotax and putting taxable distribuion as 1576 Now I am trying to fill 1116 but no idea what to claim back for the 25% tax I already have paid to Canada Canada doesn't need me to file taxes as NR canadian and is happy deducting 25%
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I can help here.

..

You'll simply use the actual amount of TAX that was withheld.

...

Whatever that amount of tax was (generated by the 25% withholding) that's your number

...

Looks to be 2413

...

Please let me know if you have any questions at all

...

Lane

..