Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.

I just submitted a NYS application tax certificate of

Customer Question

I just submitted a NYS application for sales tax certificate of authority today and I used the date of 3/24/2016 start of business. I don't plan to have a tax liability for quite sometime. Is it possible to amend the submitted application for 20 days from today?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Unfortunately, you cannot amend the application you previously submitted to change the 3/24/16 date.

As part of your application for a Certificate of Authority, you must indicate the date you plan on beginning business. You must file your first sales tax return for the sales tax quarter that includes this date.

You must file this return even if you do not start your business as originally planned. You will automatically receive a bill if you miss the required due date of your first return. The minimum penalty is $50.

Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.

Thank you and best regards,

Expert:  Barbara replied 7 months ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please come back to me here, and I will be happy to assist you.

Best regards,