Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

I applied marketplace plan to include myself, spouse and my

Customer Question

I applied for the marketplace plan to include myself, spouse and my 3 daughters (all were supposed to be a dependent). At the end of the year, Daughter #1 makes too much income and doesn't qualify as a dependent. Daughter #2 is still listed as a dependent but must file her own return. Daughter #3 is a child and has no income. I received 1095-A with all of them listed as covered. I made too much to where I would have to pay back ALL of the premium tax credits I received. My only option is to allocate ALL (if possible) to my daughter(s). The instructions are vague but I've seen people mention to allocate all of the APTC to the person with the lowest income. I attempted to allocate a percentage like 80% to myself and 20% to my non dependent daughter but I still ended up paying most of the APTC back. How would this work? Can I allocate 100% to one of my daughters (who file a return) to save myself from the tax burden? Does it matter if I allocate to my non dependent daughter versus my dependent daughter?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

As long as all parties agree, you can allocate however you choose. In your case, 100% allocation to your non-dependent daughter, or any combination of percentage between your tax return and hers.

The following links contain excellent information which you will find helpful:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2954490-do-i-need-1095-a-if-i-m-covered-under-parents-health-insurance-and-not-a-dependent

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3117729-how-to-allocate-1095-a-premiums-if-only-one-person-paid-the-premiums

Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb